Quick Links to PERMITS:

Construction Permit Application
UCC-F 100

Building Subcode Technical Section
UCC-F 110

Electrical Subcode Technical Section
UCC-F 120

Plumbing Subcode Technical Section
UCC-F 130

Fire Subcode Technical Section
UCC-F 140

Mechanical Subcode Technical Section
UCC-F 145

Application for Certificate
UCC-F 270

Chimney Verification for Replacement of Fuel–Fired Equipment
UCC-F 370

Framing Checklist
UCC-F 390

Municipal Forms Available for Download
see the forms page
for complete list

E-Mail List

Sign up to Receive Township E-Mail Notifications

Construction Office

888 State Highway 23
Wantage, NJ 07461

8:30–11:30 a.m.
12:30–2:30 p.m.
closed 11:30–12:30
8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

phone: 973-875-7195
option #2

fax: 973-875-0816


Building Department/
Construction Office

September 2, 2014

must be payable to
Hardyston Township

Info Links:


Inspection Checklist

Home Improvement Contractor License

Attention Homeowners:
Please be aware when hiring a contractor to do work on your house, ask if they have the Home Improvement Contractors License. As of January 1, 2006 the State of N.J. has required that all contractors have this prior to applying for a permit. According to the law, final inspections are required before final payment can be issued to the contractor. This requirement was instituted by the state to help stop the flood of complaints against “fly by night” contractors who don’t finish jobs or take deposits and never start a job. This is for you protection.

Home Improvement Contractor's License
A home improvement contractor is any person engaged in the business of selling goods or making home improvements. For more information, contact:

Office of the Attorney General
Division of Consumer Affairs
Office of Consumer Protection
Regulated Business Section
124 Halsey Street, 7th Floor
P.O. Box 46016
Newark, NJ 07101
(888) 656-6225

Any remodeling, altering, painting, repairing, renovating, restoring, moving, demolishing, or modernizing of a residential structure is considered home improvement work. This includes work on the following:

Aluminum siding
Attached or inlaid floor coverings
Central heating and air conditioning equipment
Finished basements and basement waterproofing
Fire protection devices
Insulation installation
Roofing and siding
Security protection devices
Solar heating or water systems
Swimming pools
Wall-to-wall carpeting
Water softeners

A permit is required to construct, enlarge, repair, renovate, alter, reconstruct or demolish a structure or to install or alter equipment, such as heating or air conditioning. There are exceptions for ordinary maintenance. If questionable please contact us for guidance.

Deck Ledgers

Demolition Checklist

Plumbing Riser

Pool Guide

Required Inspections

Requirements for Stairs,
Handrails & Guards

Re-Roofing Over Existing Roof

Second Layer Roofing Requirements


Typical Deck Details

Solid Fuel Appliances
With the rising cost of home heating fuels, many homeowners are deciding to install solid fuel appliances such as wood and pellet stoves to lower their heating bills. Please be advised that permits are needed to install one in your home or business. Depending on type of unit to be installed, a fire, building or plumbing permit maybe required. If you have installed or you have purchased a home with an appliance without permits, You may contact our department to apply for a permit and have your stove inspected. Our main objective is to protect the public from a loss of life or the potential of having Insurance compensation being reduced or eliminated.
                            Thank you,
                            Patrick Stefanelli,
Construction Official February 9, 2012

Wantage Government

Building Department / Construction Office

Wantage Township has entered into a shared service agreement with Hardyston Township for running the Building/Construction Department as of September 2, 2014. Operationally all business is still conducted within Wantage Township, nothing is issued, nor can an inspection be taken in Hardyston. The only change is office hours and all checks must be made payable to Hardyston Township.

Construction Official: Joe Butto
Available by Appointment

Building Subcode Official: Mike Johnson
Available for Inspections on Monday & Wednesday

Electrical Subcode Official: Robert Schultz
Available for inspections Tuesday & Thursday

Plumbing Subcode Official: Kevin Gould
Available for inspections on Monday and Wednesday

Fire Subcode Official: Joe Butto
Available for Inspections by Appointment

Office Contact: Linda Kelly

Administration Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. | 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Phone 973-875-7195
Fax 973-875-0816

Inspections: Please call the office at 973-875-7195, option #2 for your inspection, Monday through Friday.. Do not leave inspection request on the answering machine.

Permit Pick-up: Permits may be picked up in the Wantage office during the hours listed above. We can accept cash or check, for payment. WE Do NOT ACCEPT DEBIT OR CREDIT CARDS.

The Building Department is responsible for enforcement of the NJ Uniform Construction Code.

Construction Permit Application Packet & Related Forms are available below if you are applying for a permit. Depending on your construction project will dictate which of the subcode technical sheets you will need.

                   Inspection Checklist (Black ink)
UCC-F 100   Construction Permit Application (Black ink)
UCC-F 110   Building Subcode Technical Section (Black ink)
UCC-F 120   Electrical Subcode Technical Section (Red ink)
UCC-F 130   Plumbing Subcode Technical Section (Blue ink)
UCC-F 140   Fire Subcode Technical Section (Red ink)
UCC-F 145   Mechanical Subcode Technical Section (Black Ink)
UCC-F 270   Application for Certificate (Black ink)
UCC-F 370   Chimney Verification for Replacement of Fuel –Fired Equipment (Black ink)
UCC-F 390   Framing Checklist (Black ink)

FAQs (Click on question to view answer)

Q. My hot water heater broke on a Friday night, do I need to wait until Monday and get a permit before I have it replaced?
No. You are allowed to make emergency repairs and get a permit as soon as possible, but not more than 72 hours later and have all required inspection.
Q. Can the Building Department recommend a Contractor?
No.  We would refer you to the phone book.
Q. Do I need a permit to roof my house?
Q. Do I need a permit for siding my house?
No, for vinyl siding and yes, if it is polypropylene siding.
Q. Can I request a specific time for an inspection?
No.  Unfortunately due to the volume of inspections we can not guarantee a specific time.
Q. Were can I get the forms for the permit?
We have the forms in the office or you can download them here.
Q. Can I draw the construction drawings myself or do I need an architect or engineering drawings?
You can do your own drawings if they are for an owner occupied single family home.  All other structures need to be drawn and sealed by an architect and/or engineer licensed in New Jersey.
Q. How many copies of the construction drawing do I need to submit with my application?
Two (2) Copies
Q. Do I need a permit for a shed?
Yes & No. Sheds up to 199 sq. ft. do not require a building permit; they do require a zoning permit. Sheds 200 sq. ft. and over require a zoning and building permit. Please see shed handout for exact requirement.
Q. Do I need a permit to put up a fence?
Yes & No.  A building permit is not required for a fence unless it a barrier for a pool.  A zoning permit is required for all fences.  If you are replacing a fence around a pool, a building permit is required and it must meet the current code.
Q. When is a permit required for a pool?
A permit is required if any of the following is true about the pool:
It is capable of holding water more than 24 inches in depth.
It has more than 250 sq. ft surface area.
It has re-circulating filter.
Requirements for pools can be complicated you can pick up forms in the office or you can download them here.
Q. Do I need a permit for installing re-placement window?
Yes & No.  If the replacement window does not require the wall framing to be changed and does not  change the original opening size, a permit is not required.  If the wall framing or original size were to be changed, a permit would be required.